Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I Am Alive

Though they have become less vivid over the past year, I still occasionally have two flashes of memory from that day. 

The first I am certain I have created in my mind, from the frequent stories of what happened to me that day – from the words of the other driver, the witness, what my family and boyfriend have relayed to me and what it says in the police report. I see a large, white truck barrelling towards me as I desperately attempt to cross the highway and get out of his damn way, because he is about to hit me and I know he is going too fast to stop. 


The second, I am positive is not a creation of my imagination or based on what has been relayed to me. I know this is a real memory; though it is a moment that I would rather not remember. I am lying in a bed in a room I do not recognize, surrounded by a group of people I do not know. One of them is encouraging me to cough, while another pulls a long tube out of the back of my throat. I am coughing, I am vomiting, I am crying. I am wondering what the fuck is happening. 


Over a year ago, on January 22nd, 2014, I was driving home from a long day at work, the first travel day of a two week stretch of travel that I was excited about because it meant time away from the office and the opportunity to visit various schools in cities across my province to talk about a well loved reading program. As I was crossing an intersection, I was t-boned by a truck travelling 90kms an hour. I have no real recollection of the accident, despite the fact that I often picture the white truck. I vaguely recall leaving the mall where I had grabbed lunch and then I remember waking up in a hospital over 24 hours later, rousing from a medically induced coma days before anyone expected me to. 


I have a brain injury. And, I still cringe writing those words to define myself because I have come to learn that brain injuries are one of the most misunderstood and invisible injuries in the world. I had a brain bleed in the frontal lobe, which has changed me in ways that are not always noticeable to people who do not know me well. I am lucky because I am defined as a 'high functioning' traumatic brain injury survivor. If a stranger has a conversation with me, they would never realize the things that I struggle with. I can walk, I can talk, I can do a lot of things that many people do not associate with the term brain injury. 


I have not worked in over a year because my fatigue is so extreme that some days it is impossible for me to even imagine spending more than an hour or two outside of my house. I have issues with focus and concentration. To be honest, it has taken me literally months to actually write this all out, because every time I sit down to write, my mind struggles to stay on task. I only just started being able to read and even then, it often takes me hours to simply get through several pages. I am more prone to anger than I used to be. My emotions can get out of whack. I sometimes struggle with being in love with my boyfriend, trying to piece together what our relationship was like before the accident. I have issues with making decisions, self-monitoring and setting goals. 


Though I do not want this blog to be strictly about my injury, I admit that it is so cathartic to put this out into the universe and I hope this will be a positive outlet for me as I recover and put myself back into place. 


I am alive. And, I am writing this. And, I know there is a reason for all of that.

2 comments:

  1. Jess, it's really honorable that you wrote about this. You strength really comes through! I really don't know how I would deal with what you've been through. I don't feel pity for you, but rather admiration, because I'm not sure I could handle what you've been through with such grace.

    Have you ever watched this TED talk? https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life?language=en

    You are right, you are alive. No matter what we are going through, it's hard to deny the gift of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. It is staggering to read about what you have been through. My heart hurts for you. But like the commenter about you said, I admire you and your tenacity. I hope that you continue to heal and will think of you and follow along as you journey through this new chapter of your life...

    ReplyDelete